Friday, September 28, 2012

Holes



I’ve been blessed beyond measure with the best job in the world; when you enjoy what you do it is not even like working.  I love the school environment (mostly because I had a great high school career), I enjoy working with and helping colleagues who have the same shared vision and desire to reach technological mountaintop accomplishments.  After twenty years of being an educator… I truly love the kids.   I do enjoy working with teachers, but it is sometimes a roller coaster ride; most of my professional development trainings are successful.  Teaching teachers can be tricky.  The group you present to often “know all the answers” or “ know little nor care about the topic” and rarely like to “not talk” while you talk.  Some want a step-by-step guide and some just want the direction in which to go.  At any rate, I still like it a lot!  Really, almost all of my pd’s have been good. 
            What happened last year and this year will be forever be an enduring part of my career.  I worked extensively with two of our elementary schools and helped teachers and students implement educational technology into the classroom.   2nd graders, 4th graders and 5th graders worked on :  Edmodo, iPad apps, PhotoStory 3, Glogster, Discovery Education, Storybird, Animoto and lots more.  It all went great using the tools; the younger kids are very intuitive as it relates to embedding educational technology.  I was very pleased with the efforts of the teachers to allow me to work with them, but I did not expect what would happen next.  After working with the kids a few times, they started to like me and became excited to see me when I came back.  One of the students didn’t really know my name and called me Missssttter??? and then said Sir.  From that it stuck and all the students started calling me Mr. Sir in a kind and caring manner.  I would walk into the class a few days later and as soon as I walked into the room, sounds of Mr. Sir, Mr. Sir echoed.  I shared with them about the movie Holes and that Mr. Sir was in the movie and the book and he was one tough dude.  I felt like a real “Rock Star” every time I saw them.  School ended and I assumed the 5th graders would have a fun summer, start the junior high and forget all about me.  Hmmmm  not the case.

Watch Mr. Sir - Skip to 25 seconds for the best story ever.

          

  I was asked to help one of the junior high teachers work on a dropbox  project just a weeks ago in her classroom.  I quietly walked into the rather large class and you guessed it, there were shouts of “Mr. Sir” echoing throughout the rather large classroom.  The teacher was a bit bewildered and astonished with my “Rock Star” entrance.  Most of you know me and know my head swelled two hat sizes on that day.  I felt pretty special.  Those of you who know me know that I am really not all that special; my mom and sisters think I am but to most of the world I am just another guy.  So what is the point to all of this jibberish?  I BELIEVE the opportunities the teachers provided last year helped the students to become more engaged.  They were allowed to work in an environment where “rigorous and fun” learning ensued.  The teachers I worked with were a bit apprehensive in the beginning last year, but I don’t believe any of them would change their instruction this year.  The only real problem is that the teachers I worked with are so confident in their abilities; they really no longer need me.  Remember you may not have to do a lot of technology, but you gotta do something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment